When Andrew and I moved in together, we came up with an agreement about dinners. I coach almost every evening and Andrew is usually done training mid afternoon. So, to make sure we don't end up eating really late every evening, I cook dinner on Monday (I finish coaching a bit earlier that evening), Friday and Saturday, while Andrew cooks dinner on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Sunday is usually either dinner out, or we just cook together. This little arrangement has been working out great, when Andrew is around! He travels a lot for training and racing, and has been home for only 4-5 weeks since the end of December. Since the winter and early spring are extremely busy months for me (understatement!), with teaching added to my already busy schedule - having no one to share the cooking load with can be pretty challenging and I know a lot of people are dealing with similar challenges too! For some unknown reason, I am personally not a big fan of cooking a lot in advance and freezing meals, so I sometimes just end up making something that is really simple, quick and easy to make. A lot of the time, it involves some sort of multitasking too... This recipe is a great example of that.
Zucchini, mango & avocado salad with beet chips
- 2 small-medium beets
- Greens from the 2 beets
- 2 stalks green onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 mango
- 1/2 avocado
- Handful cashew nuts
- ~1 tbsp unsweetened coconut ribbons
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325. Scrub beets, dry and slice evenly and thinly (can use a mandoline). Spread on a baking tray, and brush with a very small amount of olive oil. Less than 1 tsp is enough. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping the beets half way through. Beets can burn easily, so be careful!
- While the beet chips are baking, prepare everything else starting with the egg - Hard boil the eggs, then cool in the fridge until everything else is ready to go
- Wash the beet greens, discard the stems and roughly chop, then chop the green onions
- With ~10 minutes to until the beets are ready, heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add beet greens, green onions and lemon zest. Top with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until greens are soft, be sure not to overcook them. ~5 minutes is enough. Set aside
- Using a spiroli, make zucchini 'noodles'
- Toss the zucchini noodles with the remainder of olive oil
- Chop mango and avocado and add to the noodles. Toss to combine
- Peel and slice hand boiled eggs and add to the salad. Top with beet chips, cashew nuts and coconut ribbon
- Salt and pepper to taste, if needed/desired
Note - If you don't have a spirooli, get one! They are awesome! In all seriousness, you can simply take a vegetable peeler and use it to create thick zucchini ribbons
Note - if you are reading this via email, the images might be all over the place and you will not be able to view the recipe unless you visit the website to view the post... I am working to fix this issue, perhaps with another RSS feed program. Sorry about that!