It has been far too long since my last post, and for that, I apologize. The last 3 weeks have been full of marking assignments, lab reports and the final exam, spending a week in Guelph following Craig and the RTC squad around trying to learn as much as I can in a short period of time and starting to play catch up on everything I have had to put aside while I worked ~70 hours a week between January and May. This winter has left me completely exhausted with a mild relapse of CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), leading to the conclusion that something must go. Unfortunately, This winter semester will likely be my last one as college lecturer. I have been asked to teach the course again, and I will give it more thought later this summer and early fall, but I am leaning towards not teaching again and focusing my energy on working with athletes full time (by the way, if you are waiting for an email from me, its coming in the next week!).
Of course, there is also my book project! I can't wait to have the finished product in my hands... I have put together a little fundraiser project to make sure all the publishing costs are paid for. I am going down the self publishing path, and there is a significant cost associated with it.
Click on the image on the right hand sidebar (or here) to see the fundraising campaign and check out the 'perks' associated with it. I believe you will certainly get your money's worth... And if you have an idea for an awesome 'perk', let me know - I would love to include it.
And now, on to a recipe! Zucchini noodles with butternut squash, spinach and bacon as the main ingredients...
Don't you just love the colour of butternut squash?!
Spinach, squash & Zucchini Salad
- 1 medium/large zucchini
- 3 cups packed chopped fresh spinach
- 1 small butternut squash
- 4-5 slices double smoked bacon (if you are in Victoria BC - Red Barn bacon is the best, hands down. Non of the packaged, full of preservatives stuff please)
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Zest & juice of 1/2 medium lemon
- Small handful of chopped almonds (other nuts or seeds would likely work also)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel the butternut squash, remove seeds and cut into stripes. Toss butternut squash cubes in EVOO
- Roast squash at 375 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown at the bottom
- While the squash is in the oven, prepare the rest of the dish
- Cook the bacon, drain and set aside
- Using the same pan, saute the spinach on low heat with the cumin, thyme, salt and pepper for ~5 minutes, or until wilted
- Chop the bacon, add to the spinach and set aside
- Make zucchini noodles using a spirooli (if you don't have one, cut ribbons using a vegetable peeler)
- Toss zucchini noodles with lemon juice, lemon zest
- Cut the squash into bite size cubes\r\nAdd squash, bacon and spinach to the zucchini
- Top with chopped almonds