Rutabaga & Yam Hash
Ah, post training snacks. You can grab an engineered sports product, but it is obviously recommended to eat real food. You know, the non processed stuff... makes sense, right? Rutabaga is an interesting vegetable that is currently in season. It is a good source of fiber, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin C & Potassium. Yams don't need an introduction, they are my favorite way to fuel up!
Post training, you should aim to get in a snack/meal as soon as you can. It obviously gets more complex than this and there are many factor that come into play depending on when your next training session is, what kind of session is next up (for example, a run vs a ride), the intensity level of the session you just finished and so on. But as a general rule, you want to aim for:
- Carbohydrates: 1-1.2 grams per kg of body weight
- Protein: 15-25 grams
The recipe below should be used as a general template: play with the amount of yam/rutabaga to boost the carbohydrate content of this post training snack/meal if/as needed to suit your individual needs, and add other sources of protein as/if needed also (2 cooked eggs have ~12 grams of protein). Examples are goat cheese, some almonds sprinkled on top or a bit of meat.
I can't really take full credit for this recipe, it is an Andrew staple post his AM training sessions! This is my spin on it though.
Rutabaga & Yam Hash with Eggs
- 1/4 cup peeled and grated rutabaga
- 3/4 cup peeled and grated yam (can leave skin on if you like)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan
- Add the rutabaga and yam to the pan
- Add garam masala, coconut sugar, thyme, salt and pepper
- Cook over medium heat, adding a bit of water as needed
- Cook until soft
- Transfer to a plate, cook the eggs to your preference and add on top of the hash. Alternatively, you can cook the eggs in a separate pan while the hash is cooking and everything should be ready at around the same time.