Power bars, but in ball form. You could press the mixture into a baking tin, refrigerate and then cut into bars... I thought about doing that. But in all honesty, I was lazy and decided it is much easier to roll into balls instead. Either way, they are quick & simple to make with quite a few possible variations... In fact, I have posted similar recipes here and here and made a similar version using dried, unsweetened papaya instead of the dried blueberries and macadamia nuts instead of the hazelnuts. Tasty! So many store bought power bars have far too many ingredients no one can pronounce (preservatives, etc). These spheres are very easy to make, using real food. No preservatives here, just awesome ingredients!
The mixture will be a bit oily when rolling. Make sure you keep these power spheres in the fridge, or perhaps even freeze them? Because of the coconut oil, these will get soft when stored in a warm/hot room.
Best enjoyed after training, of course.
- 12 dates
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- Small handful dark chocolate chips (just shy of 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tbsp (flat) coconut oil
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used good quality whey isolate)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Using a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until they the texture of 'meal'
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until the mixture starts to stick together
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and place in a bowl, then roll into balls (I rolled into 15 small spheres)
- Place in the fridge to set, then enjoy!
- Keep these spheres in the fridge (or perhaps even freeze?)