I finished work a bit earlier than planned this Saturday and needed to get some groceries for a quick dinner, so I grabbed my camera / tripod and headed out to chase the sunset for some pictures on my way to the grocery store. It was a great evening!
The recipe below was my dinner afterwards... A quick and easy dish with minimal ingredients.
Orange garlic beef
- 1 large orange, squeezed = ~1/3 cup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (depending on personal taste)
- Coconut oil for frying
- 300-400g sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small bunches broccolini (or one large), separated with stems cut
- Lime for serving (optional)
- Heat a bit of coconut oil in a pan (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for a few minutes on each side. Remove from pan, drain and set aside.
- Mix orange juice with garlic and honey, then pour sauce into the pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, mixing often, until the sauce thickens. Remove form pan and set aside
- Add a bit more coconut oil to the pan if needed, then add the pepper, onion and broccolini. Cook over medium-high heat until tender but still crunchy.
- Add the sauce and beef to the pan (make sure the beed has been drained of excess fluid) and toss everything together for a minute or two
Serve with a drizzle of lime and your choice of carbohydrate source - I used rice. If you can't (or dont want to) use garlic, use minced ginger instead - the flavours will work well together!