Kale, orange, yam & chicken salad
I love simplicity, especially when it yields great results. I would like to think that this translates into the way I coach too, although I have to admit that it doesn't always apply. I guess (as usual) it depends on the situation! I have been making really simple dinners during the last week. I really enjoy cooking for others and this cooking for one thing is getting annoying... So keeping things simple seems to be the way to go right now. The ITU Sydney WCS race in on this weekend and after that Andrew is back for a few weeks, so it will be nice to have someone to cook for again, even if it just for a few weeks because I am going to Guelph for a week and Andrew will be traveling again for more races. Maybe the RTC Guelph athletes & coach won't mind me using them as recipe testers though?! Besides, I need to earn my keep somehow :)
In somewhat related news, I will be done teaching and marking by the end of the month, so I will have a bit more time on my hands. Therefore, in addition to coaching related stuff, I will posting more sport science info and research (including sport nutrition) on my PT Performance Training blog. This site/blog will remain all about healthy recipes for athletes and active individuals, using whole foods - more practical stuff, while the other one will be more about science based practices, strategies and information. Just thought you should know!
OK, back on topic. Keeping things simple does not have to mean boring or lacking in flavor though! I was pleasantly surprised by a few new recipes I tested this week, and this is one of them.
Main ingredients are kale, yam, orange, chicken and cashew nuts. You can't go wrong with all these ingredients mixed together, right? The cashews are there mostly for some crunch, so you can use another kind of nut or seeds if you like.
Kale, Orange, Yam & Chicken Salad
- 1 small/medium yam
- 1 medium size orange
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2.5 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (the gluten free kind)
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees
- Wash & scrub the yams, chop into small pieces. Toss in 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Roast at 385 for 15-20 minutes (depending on the size you cut the yams into)
- While the yams are in the oven, heal a skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the juice from 1/2 the orange, soy sauce and maple syrup together and set aside
- Cook the chicken in the skillet until golden brown, add orange/soy/maple dressing and cook for another minute
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add the kale. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Cook until the kale has wilted, just ~5 minutes
- Supreme and cut the rest of the orange
- Once the yams are done, toss everything together and top with the cashew nuts