Spiced nuts. So simple, so delicious. If you are in need or a last minute holiday gift, or just something small to serve guests at a party/dinner/etc - try making these! The spices can be changed based on what you have on hand, personal preference, etc. I used this spice combination because I love cinnamon, all spice & cinnamon together. Plus, cinnamon is probably my favorite spice these days. I find a way to sneak it into almost everything I bake or cook, regardless if it savory or sweet. Also, feel free to change the nuts - I am sure cashew nuts and maybe even hazelnuts will work well.
You can have a lot of fun with it when you get creative with it and add your own personal twist! Here is my version...
Holiday Spiced Nut
- 3 cups almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Egg whites from 2 small eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut (palm) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (non alcohol)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the nuts in a big bow. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites for ~30 seconds
- Add vanilla and coconut sugar and beat to combine. Add to the bowl with the nuts and mix until all the nuts are covered
- Mix the spices together and add to the nuts
- Mix well until all the nuts are covered in the spices
- Spread the nuts on the baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 25-30, rotating the tray half way through
- Let cool on parchment paper and transfer to an air tight container, or package any way you like to be given as gifts
Notes - To make this vegan, use maple syrup or apple sauce instead of the eggs!