Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
I have been making great progress on photographing some of the book recipes this week, which of course means I had a lot of cooking and baking to do first. While making one recipe, I decided to try another version of it, one that might be great for the holidays too (did I really just say that during the first week of November?!). It is a recipe for those who like peppermint and chocolate combinations! Along side the book progress, I also created a new page on this site - Foodtography and there is a new facebook page, dedicated to this blog, upcoming book and sports nutrition information. Check them out!
In related news, if you are in Victoria BC, here is a new workshop for you! November 19th & November 26th (Monday evenings. 6:30pm-7:45pm). Each session is 75-80 minutes. The format in interactive, discussion based with a lot of time for questions. You will set nutrition goals (weight management, increase energy, eating around training sessions, etc) and develop an individual action plans. Then you will be provided with information and strategies to help you achieve your goals along side with answers to all your questions.
Right before the holidays, the timing is perfect to make sure you are armed with information and strategies to help you! Limited to a maximum of 8 people, cost for the two sessions is $75 (+HST), including a resource package. Email to register or for more information.
Moving on to the recipe! As mentioned, this one is for peppermint & chocolate lovers. The amount of peppermint should be adjusted based on how much you like this combination... Of those who tried these, some thought the amount was just right and others thought it was a bit strong. Note that when you taste the cookie dough before you bake it, it won't taste as strong as it does after baking. I'm not sure why that is. Also, even though I encourage you to adjust the amount of peppermint based on personal preference, I don't suggest adding more peppermint than called for. After all, you don't want these to taste like tooth paste, eh? ;)
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Makes 14-16 clusters
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 12 pitted, chopped dates
- 1.5 - 2 tsp pure peppermint extract (vary based on personal preference)
- 2 egg whites\r\n1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp unprocessed cocoa powder
- Handful dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until they are coarsely ground
- Add dates and pulse again, until the dates are broken down and mixed with hazelnuts
- Remove from food processor and place in a bowl. Add egg whites, peppermint extract, cocoa powder, honey and chocolate chips. Mix well
- Shape into balls and place on baking tray.
- Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes, depending on how big these balls are
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack