A few days ago, I started following a local BC company on Twitter called Boring Porridge. The next day, I got an email from them asking if I would be interested in meeting with them while they visit Victoria. The power of social networking? You bet! It was great to meet Jesse & Jamie, talk about sports nutrition and discuss some VERY cool ideas with them.
The ingredient list is simple, gluten free and grain free. It's essentially flax, chia, red dates and a few other goodies mixed in there too. One flavor does have oats though, for a more 'traditional' porridge, I guess (so this flavor isn't gluten free). Everything is milled for better absorption and ease of use. Don't let the name mislead you - this product isn't boring at all, and to prove how versatile it is, I decided to try using it in a few different ways, that go beyond a hot/cold breakfast cereal.
#1 - A tablespoon (or 2) over yogurt = great.
#2 - Flourless pancakes = two thumbs up! No one will be able to guess they are made without flour... The recipe for these is below.
Want some? In Victoria, you can head over to Lifestyles Market and/or Planet Organic. They also have Canada wide shipping for just $2.
Boring Porridge Pancakes
Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 2
- 1 cup Boring Porridge coconut breeze flavour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol free)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- A bit of coconut oil, for frying
- Mix Boring Porridge with baking powder in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the banana & almond milk. Mix well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until well combined
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan and cook the pancakes. Everyone knows how to cook pancakes, right?
- Note - they will need a bit more time on each side compared to a 'normal' pancake.